All the ripping fuzziness you’ve suspected couldn’t exist without ritual human sacrifice. The Blunderbuss Hybrid Fuzz is based on the formidable Musket circuit and formerly a limited edition offering; with an updated graphic in the original teal & red colorway. Sharing the Musket’s DNA, the “Bbuss” utilizes the same layout and control configuration, but with a tonal character all its own.
The Blunderbuss uses hybrid silicon/germanium asymmetrical clipping to achieve an even more crunchy and fuzzy assault, but that’s not where the differences end. In all, there are more than a dozen tweaks on the circuit that help differentiate its behavior from the Musket’s. The Bbuss is less compressed and more “open” sounding in comparison to the smooth, singing compression of the Musket. It’s a less refined sound, more raw and rude, more vintage ripper than the Musket’s quasi-fuzz/distortion sound.
A highly tweakable, highly fuzzed up iteration of the vintage muff-type circuit. But why stop at 4 gain stages? 5 is clearly 1 better. The Blunderbuss’ added controls over MIDS-shaping, PREamp control, and FOCUSing the sub-low end frequencies address all of the commonly discussed shortcomings of the old 3-knob fuzz.
- 9V operation preferable, but safe up to 18V. Negative center supply with 2.1mm plug required; top mounted.
- Mono input/output jacks; side mounted.
- 10-15mA current draw
- 4.75″ tall x 2.75″ wide; 2.5″ height
- Based on the Musket circuit
- Preamp, Midrange, Focus, Gain, Volume, Tone Control
- Hybrid Silicon/Germanium; asymmetrical clipping
- Less singing violin, more rusty trombone
- Not overly sensitive to order placement in fx chain
- Made by hand in Asheville, NC USA
- True bypass switching