In 1994, alt-rocking guitarists everywhere emulated (but never quite duplicated) Billie Jo Armstrong’s gut-busting guitar tone on Green Day’s pop-punk masterpiece, Dookie. So why is Billie Joe’s overdriven tone so hard to reproduce? For starters, he’s Billie Joe Armstrong. Beyond that, he used two modded amplifiers — one tuned for clean sounds, the other tuned for dirty.
The MXR Dookie Drive captures the sound of these two amps and packs them into a single pedal. Its Blend knob then allows you to morph between the two amp sounds in wet/dry fashion, arming you with a harmonic-rich sound that’s full of depth and dimension.
The limited-edition Dookie Drive features a compact housing adorned with Richie Bucher’s Dookie album cover art.
The Dookie Drive has all the usual controls — Output, Gain, Tone, etc. — but the real magic lies in its Blend knob. This flexible control allows you to blend a clean and dirty signal together, much like Billie Joe does with two separate amplifiers onstage. This killer overdrive also includes a Scoop function, which allows you to sculpt your mids.
- Replicates Billie Joe Armstrong’s guitar tone on Green Day’s Dookie
- Simulates using 2 amplifiers — one tuned for clean sounds, the other tuned for dirty
- Blend knob allows you to adjust your clean/dirty ratio in wet/dry fashion like Billie Joe does with 2 amps onstage
- Dial in your sound with Output, Gain, and Tone knobs
- Sculpt your mids with the Scoop button
- Features Richie Bucher’s Dookie album cover art
- Limited to 3,000 pieces
- Pedal Type:Overdrive
- Inputs:1 x 1/4"
- Outputs:1 x 1/4"
- Power Source:9V DC power supply (sold separately)
- Manufacturer Part Number:DD25