Ahoy! Welcome to your new Depths™ Optical Vibe Machine! The Depths is our take on the classic optical vibe circuit. Now you can swab the decks with the same lush, pulsating, three-dimensional swirling sound you know and love, with some modern accouterments for all you land-lubbers out there.
The Depths is optimized for use with all kinds of instruments, pickups, and to play well with dirt, so nobody’s left waiting on shore. If it’s got a ¼” output, plug it in and get deep!
In addition to the classic vibe controls, the Depths features unique controls for “Voice” and “Throb.” The “Voice” control adjusts the midrange focus of the Depths, which is perfect for tailoring the effect to your particular instrument. Clockwise, you’ll hear a fuller sound with a low-end focus. Counter-clockwise, you’ll hear a thinner, spikier sound with a forward upper-midrange bite. The “Throb” knob adds a hefty subharmonic low-end pulse to the vibrato signal, which is especially useful on synthesizers and the bass guitar. It sounds great with a little bit of dirt on the neck pickup of a guitar, too! This works best with the “Voice” turned counter-clockwise for a warmer tone.
The Depths’ “Intensity” and “Rate” controls are dialed in to give you the classic optical vibe sound at more modest settings, but dive in deeper and you’ll find anything from a smooth ultra-slow warble to sharp, speedy bursts! Also, the “Level” control has tons of output above unity on tap to combat the perceived volume loss of most vibe pedals, so your tone is always above water. And, if 9v isn’t enough to keep you afloat, the Depths may be powered at 18v for a stiffer tone with more headroom and sparkle.
The Depths is true-bypass, uses rusty all-analog circuitry, and is built one-at-a-time aboard the wreckage of the SS Minnow, currently dry-docked in Akron, Ohio, USA.
- Voice- Dials in the overall sound. Turn it clockwise for a fuller sound with more lows, bring it back for a thinner, more midrange focused tone.
- Throb- This controls the low end pulse. It may not be immediately evident on the bridge pickup, but switch to the neck or add some dirt and it comes alive. All the way up for more throb, dial it back for less. Works best when the “Voice” is set to a warmer tone.
- Intensity- This controls how subtle or intense the overall effect is. Counter clockwise from noon are the more subtle, classic sounds. Clockwise from noon are the more drastic and intense sounds.
- Rate- Controls the speed of the effect.
Counterclockwise for slow, clockwise for fast.
- Level- Controls the volume of the effect. Unity is around 1 O’clock, everything above that is boost.
Suggested setting for “classic” vibe sound:
Run at 9v, Intensity- 11-12 O’clock, Voice- 3 O’clock, Throb- 2 O’clock, Rate and Level set to taste. All the controls are highly interactive with each other, so experiment to find your tone!
This device features Flexi-Switch™ Technology! This relay-based, true bypass switching style allows you to simultaneously use momentary and latching style switching.
- For standard latching operation, tap the footswitch once to activate the effect and then tap again to bypass.
- For momentary operation, hold the footswitch down for as long as you’d like to use the effect. Once you release the switch the effect will be bypassed.
Since the switching is relay based, it requires power to pass signal.
4.75″ x 2.50″ x. 2.25″ with knobs
The Depths should be powered a standard 9-18 volt DC power supply with a 2.1mm negative center barrel. We always recommend pedal-specific, transformer-isolated wall-wart power supplies or multiple isolated-output supplies. Pedals will make extra noise if there is ripple or unclean power. Switching-type power supplies, daisy chains and non-pedal specific power supplies do not filter dirty power as well and let through unwanted noise.
- Current Draw: 50mA
- Input impedance: 1M
- Output impedance: <1K