Unlock powerful audio recording capabilities with the Zoom F6, a multi-track field recorder designed for professional and enthusiast applications on set and in the field , including music, filmmaking, and electronics news gathering (ENG). Slide it in a sound bag, sling it over your shoulder, or mount it to a camera; the F6 packs quantity and quality into a compact and rugged frame that's more than ready for life on location. From the large, informative color display to the precision timecode reader and generator, the F6 is properly equipped to please novices and demanding veterans alike.
The F6 boasts a slew of recording modes and resolutions to choose from—record all six inputs at a maximum resolution of 24-bit linear / 192 kHz or 32-bit float / 96 kHz, or (thanks to Zoom's dual-path A/D converters) record them simultaneously in 24-bit and 32-bit float while printing a stereo mix! Look-ahead limiters are incorporated into 24-bit recording to prevent A/D distortion before it happens, whereas 32-bit float mode provides so much dynamic range that limiting is unnecessary. Use MP3 format to keep file size to a minimum, stick with BWF (WAV) format for industry-standard compatibility, or select Ambisonics mode to take advantage of A-to-B decoding and balanced gain linking for VR and AR applications. What's more is that you can track to SD cards to maximize portability, utilize the F6 as a USB audio interface for your computer, or do both simultaneously for safe, redundant recording. Six locking Neutrik 3-pin XLR inputs feed the F6's studio-quality microphone preamps, which deliver a massive 75 dB of gain and ultralow noise of -127 dBu. With switchable mic/line settings and 24/48 VDC phantom power, the F6 can accommodate all manner of condenser microphones as well as balanced line-level signals. Let Zoom's AutoMix function simplify your job; it automatically changes signal levels to minimize the amount of ambient sound in your mix. When it comes to outputs, the F6 has two 3.5mm stereo mini jacks—one is a line out for convenient routing to the input of a camera or DSLR, and the other is a high-power headphone port with its own level control. Timecode I/O is also presented on a 3.5mm jack, should you want to synchronize the F6 with your video camera or other audio devices. To keep up with the pace of on-location production, the F6 offers several methods of powering. Operate it via four included AA batteries or a Sony L-Series type battery (available separately), power it through a USB connection, or plug it into a wall outlet with the Zoom AD-17 AC adapter (available separately). If you need extensive external control, Zoom has you covered. The optional F-Control grants mixers a tactile, hands-on workflow with its 60mm faders, trims, pans, and more, while similar functionality can be accessed from your iOS mobile device with the F-Control app if you snag an optional BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter.
- Versatile High-Resolution Recording
- The F6 is designed to handle the reality of real-world dynamics. Since source levels change constantly, you need a system that can capture everything from pin-drop quiet to roaring loud without compromise or clipping. With 32-bit float resolution and dual-path A/D converters, the F6 delivers immense dynamic range to cover the audible spectrum with ease.
When using BWF-compatible WAV format, the F6 is capable of recording in 32-bit float at up to 96 kHz, in 24-bit at up to 192 kHz, or in 32-bit float and 24-bit at the same time. Plus, you can add metadata such as notes and track/scene names in BWF and iXML formats to easily catalog your files.
- Multiple Multi-Track Modes
- Record direct to an SD/SDHC/SDXC card (available separately) for up to 512 GB of storage space. Run the F6 in 6-track mode (six inputs recorded in 24-bit or 32-bit float), 14-track mode (six inputs recorded in 24-bit and 32-bit float, plus a stereo mix), or if you really need to extend recording time and save space, choose the 2-track MP3 mode.
Alternatively, use the F6 as an 6-in/4-out USB 2.0 audio interface at up to 24-bit / 96 kHz. Connect it to your computer, launch your preferred audio recording program, then enjoy the combination of the F6 hardware and your favorite software. For safe, redundant recording at up to 48 kHz, it is possible to operate the F6 as an audio interface while recording to an SD card.
- Ready for Ambisonics
- The F6's Ambisonics mode offers precision A-to-B decoding and balanced gain linking, enabling you to capture professional spatial audio for VR, AR, and more. Download the free Zoom Ambisonics Player software to access user-friendly decoding and editing functions for your 360-audio.
- High Performance for Discerning Professionals
- Six studio-quality microphone preamps boasting up to 75 dB of gain and ultralow noise of -127 dBu EIN ensure that your sound sources will be amplified with sonic accuracy. Select mic/line-level per input, apply 24 or 48 VDC phantom power, adjust each input via a dedicated level knob, and handle hot signal levels (up to +4 dBu in mic mode, or up to +24 dBu in line mode).
- Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
- In 24-bit recording mode, the F6 utilizes advanced look-ahead hybrid limiters to provide reliable protection against overloading the A/D converters. By adding a small delay of just one millisecond, the limiters are able to "look ahead" at the input signal and anticipate clipping before it's recorded.
- Line and Headphone Outputs
- To use the F6 as a field mixer, simply connect its 3.5mm stereo line output into your camera, mixer, or secondary recorder. Your audio mix will be fed through the unbalanced line, ready to be recorded.
With a transparent 100mW headphone amplifier tied to a 3.5mm stereo output, the F6 provides efficient monitoring of pre- or post-fader levels and alerts for battery and recording status.
- Precision Timecode Features
- Accurate external device synchronization is made possible with the F6's high-end timecode features. A 3.5mm stereo mini jack is dedicated for timecode I/O, and a Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO) boasts timecode accuracy at ±0.2 ppm. Whether you keep the F6 powered on all day, or shut it down during breaks, rock-solid sync will be maintained.
- Highly Visible Display
- Day or night, view vital information such as audio levels, recording time, battery status, and more on the 1.54" full-color backlit LCD, which also offers a monochromatic mode. Transport controls and navigation buttons are presented nearby for effective operations.
- Zoom AutoMix
- This smart software automatically adjusts the levels of your mix to reduce the amount of ambient sound, so you can focus on capturing a well-balanced mix.
- Portable and Flexible
- The rugged build quality and compact size make the F6 an excellent choice for location recording on set and in the field. It's equally well suited for placement in an audio bag or a camera-mounted configuration.
- USB Type-C Port
- A USB Type-C port on the F6 serves several functions. Use it to hook up a power source, or connect a computer for file backup or live audio streaming.
- Power for Hours
- The F6 supports powering via four AA batteries (included), Sony L-Series type batteries (available separately), USB bus power, or a Zoom AD-17 12V AC adapter (available separately). With up to 16.5 hours of battery life (lithium batteries, 16-bit / 48 kHz, 2-channel recording to SD card, line out off, timecode off, display brightness at 5, headphones into a 32-Ohm load, and phantom power off), you can rely on the F6 hour after hour.
- Remote Control Options
- For fast and fluid hands-on remote control, the Zoom F-Control (available separately) is ideal. It features smooth 60mm faders, plus controls for trim, pan, arming tracks, transport operations, and more.
For convenient wireless remote control from an iOS mobile device, connect a Zoom BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter (available separately), then use the free F-Control app to monitor and tweak levels, operate transport controls, add metadata, and more.
- Includes Extras
- The F6 includes not only four AA batteries, but also a camera-mount adapter, and download codes for Cubase LE and WaveLab LE, ensuring that you can get started right away regardless of your workflow.