Replacing the multi award winning and five times What Hi-Fi? Product of the Year (Rega RP3) was never going to be an easy task. It took Rega's team of designers headed up by Roy Gandy, two years to develop the all new 'Planar 3' following the biggest re-design of the iconic 'three' model ever seen.
The Rega design team has worked tirelessly to improve every aspect of this turntable offering improved ergonomics, usability and first and foremost, sonic performance. The new ‘Planar 3’ is truly a new turntable from Rega and carrying over just two components from the previous model.
Rega pioneered the use of lightweight rigid plinths. Tradition was the heavier the plinth or base the better the performance. However, clever use of lightweight particulate core with a highly rigid phenolic resin skin became the foundations of the high level of performance achieved by the now iconic original Planar range. The new Planar 3 takes this design philosophy to the next level. A lightweight acrylic laminated plinth strengthened using a new improved double brace system mounted specifically where the increased rigidity is required (between the tonearm mounting and the main hub bearing) which forms a structurally sound "stressed beam" assembly. This rigid plinth design prevents energy absorption and unwanted resonance, which will add unnatural distortions to the music. Equally, heavier mass can transfer more unwanted energy, such as motor or bearing noise directly into the rotating record. The use of braces instead of the complete skin allows double thickness phenolic resin in these key areas while providing further weight reduction to the plinth which directly addresses the issue of mass absorption and unwanted energy transmission. The Planar 3 is available in two high-gloss finishes - high-gloss black and high-gloss white. Many will remember the earlier Rega matt finishes like cool grey and titanium, but these new finishes really look classy.
RB330 Tonearm: Designed using the latest 3D CAD & CAM technology, the new RB330 is the culmination of more than 35 years of tonearm design experience. Featuring a brand new bearing housing, and Rega's latest tonearm tube designed using intelligent redistribution of mass ensure this arm will exhibit fewer points of possible resonance. Extreme stability with almost friction free movement from the new high precision bearing assemblies guarantees to gather more information from your vinyl than ever before.
- Featuring a new bias assembly, re-designed stiffer vertical bearing housing, integrated arm clip and an improved spring housing with easier to read numbers.
- Rega made, new low capacitance phono cable with Neutrik plugs
- Improved lower friction, precision horizontal and vertical bearings
- New design 100g mild steel balance weight
- Design: Two speed manual belt drive Turntable
- Tonearm: Latest RB330 tonearm with 3-point mounting
- Lift: There is a hydraulic lift on the tonearm
- Cartridge: Rega Elys MK2 Included
- Speeds: 33 & 45 rpm
- Special Features: Double brace technology
- Plinth: Light weight plinth design
- Platter: Superb glass platter
- Mat: Includes wool mat
- Dustcover: Includes hinged Acrylic dustcover/lid
- Motor: 24 Volt low noise low vibration hand tuned motor assembly
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 447 x 117 x 360mm - Lid closed
- Nett Weight: 6kg
- Designed & Made In England
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 Years.