MODAL ELECTRONICS COBALT 8
Credit offered by . Get pre-approved at the checkout!
Building on the tradition of warm and punchy analogue-style synth sounds, conceived by legendary synthesisers from the past, COBALT8 unlocks the full creative potential of analogue waveforms. On top of the innovative oscillator engine of COBALT8, Modal added a new morphable 4-Pole Ladder Filter. Combined with Modal's unparalleled modulation options, an inspiring real-time / step sequencer, the energising arpeggiator, the Premium FATAR 37-note keyboard, MPE, studio-quality effects and MODALapp integration, COBALT8 is the perfect synth for everyone who wants a versatile electronic music instrument to play vintage synth sounds and is eager to enter new sound dimensions.
Eight true polyphonic voices tempt players to lay out wide string or rich synth pad chords, while a monophonic bass or lead patch, played with 64 oscillators can shake the walls of every stadium. And with the avant-garde sound forming features, every synth enthusiast can refine his performance with sounds that no other synthesiser is able to generate.
• Play rich analogue-style sounds driven by COBALT8's Extended Virtual-Analogue Synthesis, combining traditional technology with modern synth features
• Create your own signature sounds by harnessing the power of COBALT8's unique waveform architecture with 34 complex sophisticated algorithms and Modal's morphable 4-pole Ladder Filter
• Bring performance to a new level with MPE support, the integrated 512-note Realtime/Step Sequencer, 32-step programmable Arpeggiator and powerful Animation Lanes
• Express yourself with the class-leading 37-note key bed with aftertouch, built into a road-ready aluminium enclosure
• Integrate COBALT8 into your production and live performances with the full-size MIDI connections and the 3.5mm Sync Ins and Outs
• Access all synthesiser functions and update COBALT8 via the free MODALapp, available on macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, Android and AU/VST3
For every synth lover: 4-Pole Ladder Filter
COBALT8's newly designed, self-oscillating 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance injects more warmth and bite. Switch between the four different filter modes, get creative with the Notch filter and form unusual synth textures with the Phasor. Two different characteristics allow to instill a more subtle behaviour or process the sound with sheer raw power.
Shape your sound
Three flexible audio-rate (2 x polyphonic) LFOs can be routed to a massive amount of destinations using the modulation matrix and sync to internal or external tempo. Three dedicated envelopes for the filter, amp and modulation allow excessive control over dynamics and expression. Switchable envelope types provide greater options to tailor the envelopes for specific sound purposes. COBALT8's sophisticated 12-slot modulation matrix supports easy assignments of complex modulation routes to keep the sound evolving. Four common modulation routings are pre-set here to free up space for more exciting ideas.
Next generation Sequencer and Arp
The integrated 512-note Realtime / Step Sequencer with four powerful Animation Lanes invites to compose massive and complex melodic patterns. The polyphonic 64-note step sequencer mode enables easy step input for note and animation values. Multiple sequencer trigger modes coupled with the powerful onboard arpeggiator (programmable up to 32 steps) and performance features such as Chord Hold, Inversions, Transpose, Sustain Latch.
It's about playing
Professional keyboard players will love COBALT8's rugged steel and aluminium chassis and the premium FATAR 37-note full-size key bed. The keys support channel aftertouch and deliver smooth action to express powerful playing performances. For direct access of the parameters, COBALT8 features 29 endless knobs, 24 buttons and an X/Y joystick for pitch or modulation, and MPE support offers new ways of creative expression for sophisticated performers.
Polish your patches with studio-grade FX
Reshape your sounds completely with the onboard stereo effects engine. COBALT8 comes with a 3-slot FX engine with in-depth FX programming. To polish the sound, a total of 11 FX algorithms add character and depth, including Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb.
Looking to connect
Set to be played in any synth environment, COBALT8 comes with all physical connections required. Control the synth using USB, monitor with headphones or using the dedicated line outputs, sync with external gear using the full-size MIDI in and out or the 3.5 mm Sync in or outputs and take control of your sound using the built-in Sustain and Expression inputs. By poly-chaining any two COBALT8 devices, the amount of voices is easily doubled to 16 voices and 128 oscillators.
Access all Areas
There is plenty of room to store patch, effects and sequence creations. Out of the box, 300 of the total 500 patches are filled with factory patch banks, carefully programmed by some of the most accomplished sound designers of the world. One hundred customised effects configurations and sequences can be stored as well to be applied to any sound while performing.
Polyphony: True 8 voice polyphonic
MPE: Supports MPE-compatible MIDI controllers, allowing you to apply polyphonic control and expression to individual notes
• 64 high-resolution virtual-analogue oscillators, up to 8 per voice
• Two independent and self-contained oscillator groups with sine, pulse, triangle, sawtooth waveforms,
• Extended Oscillator Drift
• 4-Pole Morphable Ladder Filter with Resonance and four switchable configurations
• Resonance and Balanced Filter Modes
• Three dedicated envelope generators for AMP, MOD and FILTER that can be accessed independently or all three simultaneously including negative (reverse) versions for MOD and FILTER ENVs
• Three audio-rate LFO's with tempo sync (two poly, one global) with seven different shapes
• Eight assignable modulation slots and four additional fixed modulation routings for common assignments with 12 modulation sources and 55 modulation destinations
Sequencer and Arpeggiator
• Polyphonic Real-time sequencer with 512 notes and four recordable/editable parameter animations (Delay FX, LFOs, sequencer and arpeggiator can be either clocked internally or externally)
• Polyphonic Step Sequencer with 64 steps, 8 notes per step, 4 lanes of Parameter-Lock style animation, Step Input mode, multiple playback modes including gate modes and rest function
• Built-In sophisticated programmable arpeggiator of 32 steps with rest capability with up to 2048 steps before repeating
Three incredibly powerful independent and user-configurable stereo FX engines for Chorus, Phaser, Flanger (Pos), Flanger (Neg), Tremolo, LoFi, Rotary, Stereo Delay, Ping-Pong Delay, X-Over Delay and Reverb that can be arranged in any order
• 500 patch memories, all fully editable and ships with 300 factory programs
• 100 sequencer presets that can be linked to any patch for quickly loading arrangements
• 100 FX presets
• 8 Quick Recall slots accessible from the panel for quickly loading your favourite patches
Controls and Performance
• Premium FATAR 37-key Keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch
• 29 endless encoders, 24 buttons
• 4-axis joystick that can be assigned to a huge range of modulation destinations and virtually 'locked' when desired
• Multiple keyboard modes, Mono, Poly, Unison 2, unison 4, unison 8, Stack 2 and Stack 4
• Glide/Portamento with both legato and staccato modes
• Chord Invert control to easily create chord inversions and variations
Inputs and Outputs
• 6.35 mm / 1/4" TS dual-mono line outputs
• 6.35 mm / 1/4" TRS headphone output
• 3.5 mm / 1/8" TRS stereo audio input
• MIDI DIN In and Out
• 3.5 mm / 1/8" TS Analogue clock sync In and Out
• Class compliant MIDI over USB connection
• 6.35 mm / 1/4" TRS expression pedal input
• 6.35 mm / 1/4" TS sustain pedal input
Enclosure and Display
• Road-ready steel and aluminium enclosure with economical stained bamboo end cheeks
• 1.54-inch large OLED display for instant visual feedback at all times of playing/editing
Power: DC-9.0V 1.5A centre-positive
Editor Software: Free MODALapp software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android. MODALapp can also be run within your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), with VST3 and AU versions available
Dimensions (L x W x H): 555 x 300 x 100 mm / 21.9" x 11.8" x 4"
Weight: 5.60 kg / 12.4 lbs
|Vendor Item Number||COBALT8|
|Stock Status||In Stock|