Building upon the success of the original Lightpad Block, the Roli Lightpad Block M has a redesigned surface that offers an even more tactile, responsive, and precise playing experience. Several advancements have been implemented including a deeper, softer surface that is topped with 225 undulating microkeywaves. These microkeywaves provide more tactile feedback, allowing you to interact with the surface in a deeper way and gauge each movement more precisely. Additionally, a thicker, softer silicone layer enhances the pressure-responsiveness, while the high-definition LEDs offer a 50% brighter surface illumination, allowing for a higher contrast display, and helping you move more quickly between notes, instruments, and scales. The Lightpad Block M is part of the Roli Block system and features a tactile surface that enables the user to shape sounds through five dimensions of touch including strike, glide, slide, press, and lift. It builds sequencing, looping, finger drumming, and expressive control into one intuitive device.
The Lightpad Block M is made up of 225 LEDs arranged in a 15x15 matrix and features a semi-soft, smooth, texture with undulating microkeywaves, allowing for multidimensional performances. The fixed configuration of the pads is defined by Noise, the free iOS app, and can be configured in three modes including 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. Additional apps include Equator Player, Ableton Live Lite, Strobe2 Player, Tracktion Waveform, Blocks Dashboard, and MaxMSP (3-month license). The Block system is also compatible with desktop applications including Roli's Equator, as well as Ableton Live, FXpansion Strobe2, Native Instruments Kontakt & Massive, Bitwig Studio, Apple Logic Pro & Garageband, SampleModeling SWAM, Cycling '74 MaxMSP, and Spectrasonics Omnisphere. Connections to your iOS device or desktop computer can be made wirelessly via Bluetooth, or from a wired USB connection.
The Lightpad Block M is designed to integrate with the optional Live, Loop, and Touch Blocks, which provide tactile control over the most frequently used functions for quick and easy performance. The Live Block allows for switching scales and octaves, playing chords and arpeggios, and sustaining notes, while the Loop Block offers control for capturing loops, layering sounds, tempo, quantization, and more. The Touch Block provides expression control, allowing you to turn up or down the responsiveness of the Lightpad Block M's strike, glide, slide, press, and lift dimensions of touch.
- What's New
- Redesigned Interface: The Lightpad M builds on the touch-responsive powers of the original Lightpad Block. Lightpad M’s surface is deeper, softer, and defined by undulating microkeywaves for an even more precise playing experience
- Enhanced Tactile Feedback: Based on the wave-like surface of ROLI's Seaboard instruments, the 225 microkeywaves of the Lightpad M add more tactile feedback, so you can interact with the surface in a deeper way and gauge each movement more precisely. A thicker, softer silicone layer enhances pressure-responsiveness
- Enhanced Visual Feedback: The surface of the Lightpad M is 50% brighter than the original Lightpad Block. It features higher-definition colors and a higher contrast display, so you can move more quickly between notes, instruments, and scales
- Bass Quartet by Audio Modeling soundpack, which showcases the latest acoustic sound capabilities of NOISE 3
- Light Pad Interface
- Small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, the Lightpad Block packs more power than a roomful of instruments
- When paired with the NOISE app, you can make any kind of music - drum beats, guitar leads, orchestral melodies
- Approachable and easy to learn. Express the music inside of you, whether you play an instrument or not
- Enjoy the interaction of touch, sound, and light
- The silicone surface is pressure-responsive, and you shape sound by striking the surface, pressing into it, and moving your fingers around it
- The LED-illuminated surface glows, and each touch leaves a trace of light. Colorful grids guide you to make different kinds of music
- Grid Layouts
- 2x2 for drum kits with four sounds
- 4x4 for drum kits with 16 sounds
- 5x5 for melodic or pitched sounds (root note is always white)
- Five Ways to Shape Sound Through Touch
- Strike: Strike the surface to sound a note, as you would on a piano key or a drum
- Glide: Glide your fingers from side to side to bend the pitch, as violinists do
- Slide: Slide up and down to modulate the sound
- Press: Press into the surface to deepen sounds, like a saxophone player does by breathing more
- Lift: Lift off the surface at different speeds to change a sound’s resonance
- Learn Mode
- In Learn Mode, Light Trails appear on the surface that guide you to make beats and melodies
- Learn Mode teaches you the gestures for making music, so you can move more quickly to performing
- Drop Some Beats
- Choose a drum kit in NOISE
- Tap the surface with your finger at different speeds and on different pads of the illuminated grid
- You make beats just like you would on live drums
- Choose a Groove Kit and drop some grooves simply by moving your fingers around the surface
- Record loops of your favorite beats to create a track
- Play a Melody
- Choose a scale
- The notes of the scale appear on the pads of the illuminated grid
- Turn on Hide Mode and you’ll always be in tune, because you’ll only see the notes for that scale
- Play chords and arpeggios by pressing a single note
- Record melodic sequences from a range of instruments and layer them to create beautiful harmonies
- Make a Song
- Arrange a musical composition with the Lightpad Block and NOISE
- Record your favorite beats and melodies as loops, and layer those loops on top of each other to make a song
- Keep building your song as your skills and interests grow
- Perform one part of it live and the riff you improvise may be the best thing you’ve come up with yet
- Expand Your Surface
- Blocks DNA connectors not only magnetically connect the Blocks, but also send data, so each Block knows how it’s configured with other Blocks
- Two Lightpad Blocks create a continuous surface that works just like a single Block, but with even more power
- Live Blocks buttons let you switch scales and octaves, trigger chords and arpeggios, and sustain notes in real time
- Mode: Toggle between favorite sounds, loops, and tracks
- Volume: Adjust volume
- Scale: Select any of the available 19 scales
- Chord: Select a chord that is triggered from a single note
- Arp: Select an arpeggio that is triggered when you press a note
- Sustain: Sustain a note
- Octave: Switch up or down up to three octaves
- Heart: Bookmark your favorite sounds
- Loop Blocks are for producing and put studio techniques for recording and editing at your fingertips. Buttons help you record a loop, or sequence and play it back. Set tempo and quantize your performance to keep everything running in time
- Tempo: Set the tempo like a metronome
- Snap: Quantize recorded loops to keep everything in time
- Undo: Undo your last recording
- Play: Play or Pause recorded loops
- Rec: Record a loop
- Learn: Activate demos that teach you how to interact with each sound
- Included Software Bundle
- Ableton Live Lite
- Equator Player
- Strobe2 Player
- Tracktion Waveform
- 11 NOISE soundpacks (including Bass Quartet by Audio Modeling)
- BLOCKS Dashboard
- MaxMSP (three-month license)
Dimensions and Weight
- Width: 94mm (3.7 inches).
- Height: 21.8mm (0.86 inches).
- Depth: 94mm (3.7 inches).
- Weight: 260g (0.57 pounds).
Connectivity / Ports
- USB-C port (MIDI out and power).
- Full MIDI compatibility over USB and Bluetooth LE.
- 8 DNA connectors.
- 4 hour battery life.
- 2 hour charge time.
- 15 meter Bluetooth range.
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus or newer. iPad air or newer. iOS 9.0 or above. Google Pixel or Pixel 2. Mac OSX 10.10+ / Windows 7 / Windows 10.